ADHD, ADD, anger management issues, autism. It is starting to seem like kids these days all have some issue or another. I know i'm going to sound granny-like when I say this, but when I was a student, these problems didn't seem like there is at least one case in each level of EVERY SINGLE primary school. I have managed to deduce that compulsory primary education is the problem. While there is oso a lack of sufficient special needs school in singapore, it oso seems that even if there were, not many parents will choose to make use of it. There are of course, parents who are in denial over their children's condition, but there are also those who seem to think that special needs school will segregate their children from normal children, which would result in their condition worsening.
There are also, parents who believe many in our era or earlier actually have these problems, just that they have never been surface and by treating all these ppl as normal 'cured' them of it. Frustratingly, they also use the child's condition as an excuse/reason (Sometimes I really cant tell if its an excuse or a reason, i think the parents have the same problem) for whatever problems that occur around the child. Sadly, they bring it up in front of the child, request teachers give the children special consideration, while hoping at the same time their child will grow up like every other child.
I have come to the conclusion that it is not possible to do both: get special consideration and be like 'everyone else'. Parents should make up their mind which way they want teachers to handle their child. I am no doctor or expert, but through my personal observation, the 'be like everyone else' treatment only works for mild cases and only if parents stick to it. That means absolutely NO special consideration.
And regarding the matter of a lot of ppl in my era and earlier having problems that just have not been surfaced, I believe that is true. I wonder if it is a good idea if all suspected adults of this age group, go for the diagnosis test. Like school counsellors keep urging presently suspected school children to do so. A problem doesnt go away just because nobody knows is there. But then again, the question is "would knowing help' ?
Monday, November 8, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment